Tuesday 16 November 2010

Painting Cakes Series

Here are the first two of many cake paintings that I will be doing, after spending the last three years confined to a world of black and white the urge to paint became to much and I just had to give it a go!

Attempts in the past were mainly acrylics but only trying twice and not having much success i stuck to my trusty pencil as I had invested so much time learning the techniques and methods.  I felt i didn't want to change my medium that easily and knowing i could produce far better quality work with the pencil I decided to stick with it, this lead to many better quality drawing as i pushed the boundaries of realism.

But this year after speaking to many other successful artists I decided to give Oils a bash and to be honest I previously thought Oils where the most difficult medium to use but after speaking to other artists and reading lots of books and Internet articles and videos I managed to change my mind set and started thinking of oils in a far different way....."its just mixing the correct colour and placing it in the right places" with this new way of thinking I gave it another go.....but what subject!!

It didn't take long to figure it out as the wife makes the most amazing cherry cheesecake and seeing it being made  I knew the silky texture and shiny juice of the Cherry's just had to be painted and so that's what i did.

I was nervous starting I knew I could draw but this was different....I started painting on my primed MDF panel and kept in mind that each layer would look better and better and I was surprised with the results.

And so with the new found confidence I have just completed my second Cake painting of a Victoria Sponge and have plans for at least two other paintings.

I hope to continue to blog my painting process having only ever done two oil paintings I want to see the improvements as I paint more and more


No comments:

Post a Comment