Saturday 6 April 2013

Painting Updates.

So here is the last replacement commission for Warwick studios gallery. As you must know by now a year ago there was a terrible fire at the gallery that destroyed the gallery and its contents, including 9 of my paintings, 4 of those painting were commissions and we were just discussing the 5th when the fire destroyed all the others.

Once everything had settled down the client, through Warwick studios, re-placed the order of all 5 commissions and this is the last replacement so only one more to do.


Grolsch replacement
36" x 25"
Oil on wooden panel

SOLD

With all the replacements I was adamant that I would change the composition of them slightly but with this piece I was really happy with the original composition and so decided to stick with it, by doing this I created myself a different kind of pressure as I had to make it better than the original because everyone could compare the two.

 I personally feel that this piece alone shows how I have grown as an artist. I feel my colour matching has improved the most and now there seems to be more of a realism to my pieces focusing on the subtle paint strokes and colours.  I think before I would over emphasize a highlight or light source and thought by adding a total black background made the central image look more striking but I have learnt to match my colours more accurately and realised that a highlight may be darker than you would think now i have this more tighter approach to mixing i'm constantly surprised at how different colours are to what you think especially with highlights quite often now i'll mix a highlight and think that cant be right its to dark its to brown/blue/purple etc but once I start laying the colour into the painting I realise just how much more realistic It is this combined 
with my change in background colour I feel I'm attaining a far more polished realistic painting's
As you can see in my newest painting below, this is a piece I've wanted to do for quite some time but with all the commissions I haven't had the time but with me delivering the commissions to Warwick studios gallery last  week I wanted to squeeze in a piece for them to hang and be the first gallery piece of the year. 


Pool Balls
30" x 30"
Oil on panel 

SOLD

Available at Warwick Studios 

And in other news, I have started a new and very different body of work based on my love of figurative works and boxing. I decided that I would produce the first two of the year and see what reaction I got from my followers on Facebook and I was really pleased with how well received they were. 

The first Is of a fighter in a blue hooded top shadow boxing, the idea of this piece is to have a feeling that the boxer is in a prison type environment with the desire to change his life, I used lots of grey's in the background of this piece and also used a authority type text to mirror his feelings, needing the "Focus" to stay on track, having "Faith" in either a god or family members, and the "Fear" of change. 


"Focus, Faith, Fear"
48" x 25"
Oil on wooden panel

SOLD

The second piece I wanted to represent the religious element of a fighter. Some fighters are very religious using faith and prayer to keep themselves and there opponent safe and as a form of guidance to stay on the right path

Originally I wanted to put in a cross but I thought It would go against some other religions, but then a strange thing happened, whilst the painting was still in the burnt umber brown sketch stage, I was cleaning up the studio and moved one of my easels, and as I did so, the light shone onto the top of the easel casting a cross shadow onto the panel, I quickly grabbed a pencil and drew around the shadow and decided to keep it in the composition but made sure it was knocked back and subtly blended into the background. 


"Belief in the man and himself"
40" x 28"
Oil on wooden panel

SOLD


No comments:

Post a Comment